Tuesday 24 November 2009

Are you being served?
















"Most important, the photographs are not merely about the surface appearance of shops. The photographs bring out the ways in which the different visual character of the shops - shining cars, puddles of oil, neat rows of bottles, clean glass counters, formica tables and the seductive darkness of the tattoo parlours - make up the visual texture of an area and of a community." Elizabeth Edwards, from her essay on Tom Hunter's project in east London--some definite resonance with our ideas, and Liz will be joining us on the advisory panel.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen this name a lot - his work is up my street up my street and I've come across it a few times. funny how that happens. and somehow reassuring. Also reassuring, is that fact that (between me, you and the blogosphere, these images don't kill me. They are good of course, but I don't find much pathos in them. Or something like that. Still, he got an MA from the RCA and has exhibited all over the world so who am I to talk? Lovely, inspiring stuff for us, good find.

    ReplyDelete