Thursday 5 November 2009

Ways to make an exhibition of ourselves























Of course, no offense to James Ravilious and the like, but I think our work should look very different to that. What I don't want is my photos in a frame, locked away, gathering dust, a moment in time that no longer works, no longer is alive. Of course all photography is this but I'd like to steer awy from this is possible.

How exciting to have something as 'simple' as putting a new sole on a shoe, but photographed / filmed / discussed / heard in a very technologically complex and varied way? And shown, repeated, recorded and disseminated in a highly sophisticated and sympathetic (and somehow not nostalgic) fashion?

(Worth noting is Martin Parr's new exhibition at the Baltic in Gateshead, where he has one floor of his photographs but then another floor of the bits and pieces that surround them. The epehemra that is attached to the time and the place that he took the photos. ('A range of objects from his personal collection' as it says on the Baltic site.)

The aim to 'Engage academic and non-academic audiences in conversation about everyday aesthetics, cultural value, and social change' is relevant here too. I love the thought our work will in some way filter in to how people shop, how much they value and understand their local businesses. In fact, that is the reason we started this isn't it Caitlin? So for me, it's crucial I feel that my photos do this, or are allowed to do this, are directed towards doing this. I'm not sure I've understood that myself until now, and how important it is for me.

Image: Luc Delahaye exhibiton. A wonderful example of how effective life-size images can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment